Phen-Fen is an appetite suppressant widely popular as the drug for anti-obesity or binge eating disorder medication. It consists of two drugs: Fenfluramine and Phentermine. Phentermine blocks the absorption of a neurotransmitter called dopamine. Dopamine is a stimulant, which increases metabolic rate and raises body temperature. This blockage results in decreased appetite and an increase in metabolic rate. Fenfluramine acts by altering serotonin levels in the brain to suppress the appetite. Phen-fen regulates the body’s natural chemistry. It keeps the whole system in balance. And by doing so, it helps:
Obesity and Phentermine don’t work together; the best way to achieve proper weight loss is eating a nutritionally balanced diet and incorporate some moderate exercise everyday.
Phentermine Diet Pill is suitable for short term weight loss. Before you start taking this medication, think about the same. Like all medicines, Phentermine also tends to cause some side effects such as irritability, nervousness, sweating, dry mouth, nausea, constipation, and headache which were reported by the users of Phentermine. You have to be cautious that you don’t get dependent on this medication and most importantly don’t get addicted to its intake. Phentermine can also lead to few rare side effects which are generally not spoken about. Since Phentermine is used for a short time frame, people generally gain the lost weight after they stop taking phentermine.
- Eliminate psychological cravings for food
- Decreases excessive hunger
- Cuts down depression related ailments which lead to bulimia and anorexia
Two myths about Phen-Fen
- It is a fat pill and absorb fat or block fat from entering the system
- It alters genetic make up which is one of the main causes of obesity
Fen-Phen treatments are for people with a BMI [body mass index] of 28 or above. The Phen-Fen diet
- Adopt an exercise routine while talking medication. It helps in faster weight loss while taking the drug
- Meet a nutritionist in order to monitor the eating habits and make changes if necessary
After reports of harmful consequences in women, like heart valve disease and pulmonary hypertension, FDA forced Phen-Fen to withdraw from the market. Some evidence also suggested a neuropsychological damage to the system. In 1997, doctors prohibited the sale of Phen-Fen after their research on the drug. And by 2004, the drug was no longer available.
Learn the other side effects of Phen-Fen
- Drowsiness, diarrhea and dry mouth
- The dangerous cardiovascular condition called primary pulmonary hypertension which can be fatal
- Nausea, constipation and abdominal pain
- People who suffer from migraine or clinical depression should not take this treatment
- Don’t take this treatment if you have heart related problems or diabetes
After reports of harmful consequences in women, like heart valve disease and pulmonary hypertension, FDA forced Phen-Fen to withdraw from the market. Some evidence also suggested a neuropsychological damage to the system. In 1997, doctors prohibited the sale of Phen-Fen after they studied the drug. And by 2004, the drug was no longer available.
Valvular heart disease
The heart has four valves, which regulate the flow of blood through the heart and to the lungs. The disease will produce excessive thickness or leakiness of the valves. The side effect associated with fenfluramine is leakiness of the valves. It will lead to heart or lung disease.
In 1997, an estimated 6-7 million people used Phen-Fen. The Phen-Fen company American Home products failed to disclose information on the drug, which could have prevented deaths and serious health effects, which resulted from taking Phen-Fen. The side effects of the diet drug lasted for a long time. Unfortunately, the side effect is hard to detect with medical examinations when a disease has progressed to a later stage. This drug, taken over a period of three months led to dangerous Phen-Fen side effects.
Know some facts about Phen-Fen
- The combination of Phentermine and Fenfluramine aided people to lose weight But once they were off the drug, they gained back all the weight they had lost
- Drugs worked well when used with proper exercise routines and healthy eating habits
- The drug has dangerous side effects
Drugs with Phen-Fen combination
In 1996, Redux came in to the market. It became a popular drug with the Phen-Fen combination. Fenfluramine [Pondimin] combined with another anti obesity drug; phentermine [Phentrol, Fastin, Ionamin, Adipex] prevents the body from absorbing dopamine. It reduces the craving for food especially sugar. Both Redux and Fenfluramine, which has one-half of Phen-Fen combination was pulled out of the market. Recent studies have shown evidences linking the drugs to fatal heart and lung diseases. But drugs like Fastin, Adipex and Ioamin are still available in the market. The drug called herbal Phen-Fen does not contain Fenfluramine.
Though a majority of cases relating to Pulmonary hypertension and valve diseases are found in women, men are also at risk of developing them. As women are more in to diet controls and weight loss plans, more women try out diet pills or suppressants. The FDA advices both men and women to consult their doctors before they begin any diet pill program for treating Obesity.